Saturday, June 30, 2012

Jeff Lustig RIP

Jeff Lustig--professor, activist, and founder of the California Studies Association--died of cancer on June 14.

I came to know Jeff primarily through CSA, which he helped create in 1989. At that time, there were few organizations devoted to the study of California. Over the years, CSA's annual conference has drawn and honored notables such as Mike Davis, Patty Limerick, Kevin Starr, Luis Valdez, Richard Rodriguez, Robert Gottlieb, Malcolm Margolin, James Houston and Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston, Wilson Carey McWilliams, Maxine Hong Kingston, Gerald Haslam, Delores Huerta, and Peter Schrag.

Many of these folks received CSA's Carey McWilliams Award, which recognizes those "whose artistic vision, moral force and intellectual clarity give voice to the people of California, their needs and desires, sufferings, struggles and triumphs." Jeff was one of those people.

Pia Lopez wrote a piece on Jeff for the Sacramento Bee. I would only add that Jeff's deep and firsthand knowledge of Ramparts magazine, Carey McWilliams, and the Free Speech movement were a huge benefit to me over the years. Also that his colleagues at CSA are saddened by this loss and grateful for his work, friendship, and spirit.

1 comment:

Ann Katzburg said...

Jeff was my professor at Cal in the late '70's, early '80's. He was a wonderful professor who taught me to question authority - a welcoming task for my idealistic self in my early 20's. I was so inspired by his teaching.
Sorry to hear of his passing.